Monday, April 27, 2015

World cruise 47


April 26

Yesterday evening Margaret got seriously into packing. Oh my. It's a good thing that one of our "ship gifts" was another duffle bag with wheels at one end.

"Ship gifts" is sort of a misnomer since I am completely certain that I paid for them as part of my fare. Some are useful and some not so much. There is the aforementioned duffle bag, a nice satchel/tote, a bluetooth speaker, a travel journal, a passport case, a set of 3 Seattle Chocolates bars at Easter, a combo solar flashlight and phone recharger, a fancy umbrella, a big ceramic travel mug, a china plate, a luggage scale, a lovely Tiffany pewter box and a Steiff bear in its own little dufflebag backpack. I think that's it. Of course it's fun to occasionally find a present on your bed when you get back from dinner. And of course they do this gifting thing on their Grand Voyages to encourage people to come back again on the long, expensive cruises. It's a Holland America Grand Voyage thing. It's okay. I'll take 'em.

Another Holland America thing is flowers. Real flowers in amazing arrangements in almost every public space. Plus we've had a little vase of live flowers in our room that changes at least once a week. I talked about the flowers and the florists back in post number 43. I do not remember seeing this kind of floral display, much less the complete artistry of it, on any other cruise line. Hmmm ... nor do I know if they do it on all or just some of their ships/cruises.

Today was rather bouncy again. We've altered course somewhat to the south to try to avoid another depression moving eastward across the Atlantic. At his mid-day report, the Captain referred to the ocean swells as "confused" in direction. I would certainly agree with him.

Tonight was the last formal night. Now we can begin to think about packing in earnest.

April 27

Still rocky although a little bit better. The Captain is predicting a good deal calmer by late tonight. It's not too terrible except when you try to stand up and walk somewhere. I'd show you a photo of the scenery, but it would just be all grey.

I'm finally just about finished with the last afghan for Project Linus. This activity on board has been shepherded by a volunteer. Malvina's a delightful lady from Canada who kept track of all the donated yarn and completed blankets (well over 100 so far). Unfortunately she was called home several weeks ago as her daughter was dying of brain cancer. We all miss her and are grateful to Jean who stepped into her duties to complete the project.

That's another reality of a long cruise ... injuries, sickness and death ... among either the passengers, the crew or their families. The 1,200 to 1,500 people on board are very much like a village. Things happen, good or bad. News gets passed around. Others step up to help in various ways. More news gets passed, as does pure gossip.

I admit that I am a little more ready to get off the ship and be home than on other, shorter cruises. I miss my friends at home and my own bed, chair, routine, etc. I know, however, that as soon as I'm home, I will be missing the ship, the new friends, the other people, the ship's routine, etc.

3 comments:

Marcia said...

We missed you at Culture Quest yesterday! I've been reading your blog the whole time, sounds like a marvelous experience :)


Marcia

Anonymous said...

We look forward to talking with you both soon! Have certainly missed you.
Rosemary

Va said...

"Rotating azipod motors and side thrusters" - my goodness your already voluminous vocabulary never stops expanding! Would that you could apply those to a game of scrabble! Lunch bunch is constantly asked by staff at CD when you will return! We pause and as it gets closer, smile as we say "soon"!