Monday, June 10, 2013

June 6 - 10


June 6, Southampton. Since I'm mostly unable to go do what I wanted to do here, I spent the greater part of the day reading "Space Viking" by H. Beam Piper, and a fine old space opera shoot 'em up it was. 

The Novotel hotel here in Southampton is newly renovated with lots of ultra-modern furniture that is a little lower than I prefer, but manageable. The tub, sink and shower are all higher than optimum for me. Go figure. It is very close to Mayflower Quay, but not so close to the Carnival-owned Ocean Terminal.  If you are sailing from Southampton, it would behoove you to find out, before you make hotel reservations, which pier your ship will be at. On Caribbean Princess, we sailed from the former and returned to the latter. Also, there seems to be a certain amount of noise in the area: sirens, horns, whistles, and the occasional deep reverberating boom as well as occasional odd noises inside the hotel. It's not constant noise, just occasionally startling ... especially the boom which I have yet to identify. Then there were the "rabid robo-termites" chewing holes in the hotel's walls as part of the final stages of the renovation, although I'm told that is done now. It's okay ... the place is clean and nice, and the staff are very helpful.

June 7, still at Southampton. As before, I spent the day sleeping, reading and watching BBC2, plus a bit of a chat with Jeff. Not feeling too great this past day or so, but should perk up in a while. I do admit that thoughts of my own bed, bath, etc. have begun occasionally crossing my consciousness.. 

June 8. On to cruise #3 on P&O's Ventura up to Norway. Ably assisted by taxi driver Paul and Assistance Agent John I left the hotel about noon and whizzed through check-in to be deposited on Lidoe  Deck to await cabin availability. By the time I got to my cabin, I realized I had a sore throat, cough and a fever which turned out to be 102. So off to Medical to be perforated by the doc on board. Will spend a day or two in my cabin til that goes away. Didn't have anything scheduled for 2 days anyway ... a day at sea and a day at Bergen. Remembering the old days sailing on Sitmar when the doc on board was a retired Italian grandpa, and you just prayed that you could understand each other.

June 9 the less said, the better ...note to self:  round two of stomach bug does not go well with heavy cough.

June 10 the rest of the ship is visiting Bergen. I'm still in quarantine in my cabin with twice daily visits by the nursing staff and the HazMat boys who come to "sanitize" the place. The only good news today is that I can get electrolytes from flat non-diet Coke instead of little "flavored" packets of powder mixed with water ... all the flavors were bad, but the banana was really really ugly. So now I have a lot of little toy cans (150 ml) of Coke sitting open on the dresser going flat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing!! I hope you are feeling MUCH MUCH better pdq. Whoever invented faux banana anything should be punished.
Suzan

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling much better soon! And I hope they declare you to be non-contagious by the time you are up to getting up and about.
Rosemary

Va said...

Didi dear - leaded but flat coke provides electrolites! I will share that valuable medical knowledge only you would have! Glad ou are in good hands and looking forward to joining life outside your cabin - thinking positive thoughts! Way to go.

VA

DonnaB said...

Hope you get to feeling better very soon! Being sick is no fun. Being sick on a cruise ship is beyond yucky!!! Here's hoping you're feeling better by time to actually see something. In the meantime, rest, rest, rest.
Hugs.