Wednesday, June 5, 2013

June 5

June 5 end of cruise number 2, Southampton, England.

There was the usual sort of pseudo-chaos getting off the ship, but I got through it and grabbed a taxi to the Novotel. It's a very modern decor hotel fairly near the docks. First I napped through lunch, then I went downstairs to the hot spot in the lobby and unsuccessfully tried to do several things. First was to try to load photos into my recent posts - nope, no luck.

Second was to try to arrange some activities for while I'm here in Southampton - also no go. This is a somewhat bare bones hotel with no concierge desk, but the front desk people have tried their best. I especially wanted to visit Down House, Charles Darwin's home in Downe, Kent. Which is part of the "English Heritage" group along with Stonehenge et al. The quote I got before I left home was for over $1,100 for a car and driver for the day. The quote the hotel got from a local taxi company was £500 or about $625. While I really want to see Down House, I don't really want to see it that much.

I can probably get to Stonehenge via public bus, if I can get to the central bus station, but I did see it years ago when you could still walk up among the stones. I may wind up just vegging at this hotel for three days of non-excitement. If the weather is nice, maybe I'll go to the local zoo. I'll let you know, but don't expect too much.

1 comment:

Va said...

Checked the weather forecast for Southampton,UK, while you are there, looks promising! Agree, chatting with fellow passengers is a top reason for cruising!