Friday, May 10, 2013

May 8/9/10


I  have survived, yet again, being shut up in an aluminum tube full of people, luggage and germs held up in the air by the Grace of God and the Laws of Physics. Both the flight to Atlanta and the one to Barcelona  were on time. I didn't get any sleep crossing the ocean because each time I was about to drift off the plane would hit a jiggly spot and the "Fasten Seatbelt" light would bong. But that's to be expected.

The Hotel Colon is in the old "rabbit warren" part of downtown. The streets in this area are even smaller and more convoluted than in Rome. However, the very elegant hotel is very close to one of the cathedrals which makes a good landmark. My single room is small but well appointed, and I immediately tested the bed with a good long nap.

The other members of the group on this first cruise are slowly arriving in Barcelona. Most spent the day sightseeing to try to stay awake to adjust to the time zone. Hah! Two naps and a night's sleep and I'm pretty thoroughly adjusted. We are all supposed to meet at a plaza on La Rambla this evening, but I may give that a miss as it's a 10 minute walk for an average person which means probably 30-45 minutes for me, and I would be exhausted and crabby by the time I got there. 

No comments: