Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 22/23


May 22 nearing the dock in Venice about 1:30 p.m. I got great photos of the main part of the city right from my cabin as we sailed in. Interestingly, St. Mark's Square is supposed to flood at high tide tonight. It does that rather regularly these days, so they put out wooden walkways so you won't have to wade. Our guide today said that these occasions are accurately predicted and announced so that the locals can plan accordingly. Climate change anyone? This certainly wasn't happening when I was here 50 years ago!

Hah! The Guest Services people, in the person of one Bruno Dentone billed as Access Officer, have decided to let me use a wheelchair for my tour free of charge. That's fine, and I'm sure it will work okay, but that does not erase the garbage they put me through yesterday.

As it turned out, I had an entourage of about nine people on the tour who all said they wanted the opportunity to "push me around," and I'm not sure they meant in the wheelchair! The main roster of the entourage included George and Chris, Debbie, Megan, Lynne and Dave, plus there were several others of our group on that tour including Carolyn, Rita and Pat.

It was a fine tour by water tour bus. I especially like tours that are different from the usual center-city churches and museums.Our first stop was the island of Murano and its glass factory. We had an interesting presentation about glass working and watched one of their remaining 16 master artists (and no apprentices these days) make a vase and then make a horse statue. Megan got a good video of the horse-making, but I don't know whether or where she will post it. Then we went upstairs to their showrooms and drooled over the spectacular items there like vases, wine glasses and carafes, bowls, statues of all sorts of things, jewelry of glass beads, and chandeliers. There was one of a rainbow of colored long glass teardrops that several of us wished we a) had a place to put it and b) had the money to afford it.


Next our water tour bus took us to the island of Burano with its tradition of lace-making. We went into one place where a woman
demonstrated how they make lace. Each piece begins as a drawing on paper that is stitched to the fabric. Then there are seven separate steps to creating the piece in fine cotton thread, each step done by a different woman. There were shops all along the street with exquisite lace items, as well as shops with less expensive lace items. Several of us settled at a nearby trattoria for beers and sodas before heading back to the water tour bus and the ship. The houses on Burano are all painted really bright colors as you see here.

May 23 was quite a transition! Disembarkation and getting to the Marco Polo Airport was the usual
kind of chaos that ends a cruise. With a wheelchair assist, I was whisked through everything and soon deposited near my departure gate with about two hours to wait. As the area filled up. There appeared a good number of people from NCL Spirit, including Debbie. My British Airways flight was on time, and although parts of it were bouncy, we landed fine at Gatwick. 

It took me a while to find the Princess agent, but once we connected, Robert gave me a nice ride to my hotel in an elegant Mercedes. I am in absolute LOVE with the St. Ermin's Hotel! It is elegance personified! I was given a room on the first floor with a view of the courtyard. The decor and furnishings are right out of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous." The bathroom is larger than some bedrooms I've seen, and the whole place is totally handicapped accessible!! What a switch from the cramped bathroom in our cabin on NCL Spirit! I plan to spend my one evening here luxuriating! 

2 comments:

Va said...

Sounds like things are looking up! Just as it should be on a vacation! Got an announcement today from Viking Cruises on their new ocean cruises with king size beds standard as well as verandas! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Love your blog! VA

Unknown said...

Murano--Burano--Marco Polo--Tallyho!