Sunday, February 1, 2015

World cruise 13

January 29

At sea, still successfully dodging the storm and en route to Tonga. The weather where we are is back to beautiful. Bright sunshine, gorgeous white clouds in the distance, incredibly deep blue ocean with interesting swells but no white caps, and temperature in the low 80s. It's interesting how quickly one falls into a routine on these sea days -- especially when there is no scenery to watch except the sea. Knitting, crocheting, maybe a lecture or a game of cards or dominoes. Then about 5:00 p.m. we call for room service to bring tea. Margaret is spoiled already!

At dinner both Margaret and Mike ordered "Lobster Pot Pie." I find those words together to be completely incongruous! To me, "lobster" denotes something elegant and "pot pie" is pretty much the opposite. I guess the chef is getting cutesy with the recipes. Margaret said it didn't have a whole lot of distinctive flavor and would have benefited from a good dose of garlic butter. .

Several times I 've mentioned the small ships small world thing. It's happened to me 5 times with different people so far on this trip. There is Denise who was on Prinsendam with me in 2010. There is Jackie who has direct ties to Charlottesville and UVa. There are Lynn and Charles who were on Prinsendam with me in 2007 and 2008. The other day I was at the lunch buffet with Denise who introduced me to a woman named Jeannette who lives on 21 Curves Rd. about 1.5 miles from me at home. Today I learned that Judith and Carol, who are in the knitting group, were on the Prinsendam with me in 2010, and not only that, but were on the same bus tour with me at Sochi, Russia!

January 30

A day lost at sea crossing the International Date Line. We went to sleep on Thursday and woke up on Saturday.

January 31

The day started out sunny and beautiful but by late morning, we ran into some showers although the swells have calmed down a lot. By late afternoon, it was clear and nice again. Otherwise, it was another day at sea.

It's beginning to get funny when we go into the Lido buffet for breakfast or lunch. The staff there now recognizes us and almost brings our tea before we can sit down! This morning, one came to where I had just sat down and asked where Margaret was. I said she was over at the buffet, and she later reported that she was almost pounced on by him and one of the young women offering to carry things for her. They are so helpful and friendly and kind to everyone, even the cranky and demanding passengers.

We finally docked at Nuku'alofa, Tonga around 8:00 p.m. greeted by Tongan dancers and musicians. A number of people went ashore this evening. Many went because tomorrow is Sunday and, by law, no business may be transacted on a Sunday. Sunday is a day to attend church, be with family and rest. Even sports are not allowed.

Tonga, aka the Friendly Islands, is the only monarchy in the South Pacific dating back about 1,000 years. It is also the only country in the rehion that was never colonized, although missionaries arrived in the nineteenth century and converted the majority of the islanders to Christianity.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your cruise through Polynesia sounds delightful and I'm glad Margaret got to do some fun and adventurous things. Didi thank you for providing us this blog as it is most enjoyable to hear about your journey. I'm overjoyed that you're giving Margaret this great opportunity. It amazes me how many friends you've mad on the cruise and I hope that you will be able to meet up with those ones who live in or near Charlottesville.

Unknown said...

Reminder to Margaret, I am leaving for Egypt tomorrow Feb. 2. Althea

Va said...

FYI - Yesterday at Phillips seafood restaurant in Baltimore our choices included shrimp or salmon or crab pot pie. No lobster potpie yet. What a coincidence! We passed on the opportunity.