Sunday, January 7, 2007

I finally got hooked up with the ship’s Internet system, so hope to get this entry out today. I’m typing this on the back deck aabout 30 feet from my cabin with a nice breeze and a view of Georgetown, Grand Cayman. (No photo this time because it’s basically all flat with white houses...nothing particularly scenic, at least not from this distance.

My trip down from Charlottesville on the 4th was uneventful (Thanks again, Jan, for the ride to the airport.) That evening I had a nice visit and dinner with Jayne Byal, a friend of Bob’s from his Punahou days who is a cruise travel agent in Ft. Lauderdale.

On to the ship on the 5th. I did get a little nervous when the ship finally sailed and my luggage had’t turned up in my cabin yet, but it was there when I got back at the end of the evening. I spent most of yesterday morning at sea unpacking and arranging my little “nest” for the next 2+ months.

The ms Prinsendam is a lovely ship. It was originally built in 1986 in Europe as the Royal Viking Sun. The only disadvantage I’ve found so far is that there is only one “American” electrical outlet, but it is conveniently located and I think/I have at least one adapter buried in my stuff somewhere which will help.

In the dining room I am at a table for 8 that seems to be all single people traveling alone. We haven’t seen everyone yet, but so far there are 2 from Canada, 1 each from Denver, Charlottesville, England, Germany, and perhaps India.

I went into Georgetown, Grand Cayman briefly by tender...mostly a test of how the tender system works for me and my walker. It worked just fine. I didn’t stay long as I was just there at Grand Cayman last January.

No comments: