Friday, March 27, 2015

World cruise 31M


From Margaret
Yangon, Myanmar
Day 2

The second day of our visit to Myanmar, after a bit more riding around Yangon, our guide, AyeAye, took me to the Scott Market. I had decided that I really wanted a traditional Myanmaran outfit. The only way I can describe this place is that it is a cacaphony of shops. I don't think I would dare go into it by myself. I now wish I had taken some pictures of it – but at the time it was overwhelming.

There were aisles and aisles of jewelry vendors, some of whom displayed signs "government registered". AyeAye told me that meant that their jewelry was certified as real, which implies that the other vendors may or may not have been selling real jewels and gold.

Then there were aisles and aisles of clothes – most of these aisles were so small that I had to go through them sideways. The clothes were stacked in piles almost to the ceiling which was high with samples hanging from ropes strung from one side to the other of the shop. I doubt that any given shop had more than 10 or 12 square feet of floor space – most of the space they used seemed to be vertical.

Crammed into these shops or perhaps into small spaces between them were tailors with their sewing machines. Alterations were made right there and then. AyeAye took me to a shopkeeper that she frequents, and between them they picked out a traditional Myanmaran outfit that they decided looked good on me. The only way to describe this fabric is that it is an incredible iridescence of browns/greens/golds/bronzes. They promptly took it and modified it for wear by a westerner. While I was waiting for this, I succumbed to a teal fabric with heavy embroidery around the bottom. They could not find a top that fit me and there wasn't time for them to make one. So, I wound up with the entire piece and will have to make the top when I get back. It is one gorgeous piece of cotton!!

From the Scott Market we went to a "toast" shop for a quick sandwich lunch. From there we went to a nursery and park that seems to be a joint "venture" of the government, the Buddhist monks, and some independent vendors. The nursery part had wonderful flowers, especially orchids, and fruit trees of all sorts.



There is a large lake that is part in the park part that is being taken over by water lilies. The lilies were in full bloom and the buds were being harvested by a man who was apparently going to sell them for food.



I think AyeAye said that the lily flowers are used in soups and other kinds of Myanmaran cooking.


Across the lake was an agricultural museum that contained examples of all kinds of plants grown in Myanmar – only it was closed. Apparently it does not open all that often, because it does not get a lot of visitors. If I ever visit Myanmar again, I will have to write ahead and find out when the museum will be open :)!

Intriguing, fascinating day.

No comments: