Thursday, January 22, 2015

World cruise 8


January 17

Fourth day at sea. I was going to go to a session on "Using your iPad" or some such. When I got there, it looked like about half the ship's passengers were lined up for it, and the room holds around 2 dozen ... 3 at most. Better luck next time.

The Mexican Train dominoes group is beginning to settle toward a consistent set of combined rules. Today we had two people stop by to watch and even sit in on the game when someone had to leave. "I think we're gonna need a bigger table."

Our social life is getting complex to the point where we had to cancel a dinner engagement with a group of Helen's travelers at one of the ship's fancy restaurants tomorrow for an invitation to the other one. And as I was returning to the cabin a young woman handed me an envelope that proved to contain an invitation to the Captain's Dinner on our next formal night. Althea might get her wish to see a photo of us with the Captain although I'm not sure about "schmoozing." We've already met the Captain's wife who often stops by the crocheting group (the Happy Hookers?) to schmooze.

This evening after dinner (I added beets and cucumber to my list) M and I went to the show in the main Queen's Lounge again. It was an a capella quartet called the Alley Cats who specialize in '50s and '60s Doo-Wop music. They were really great. Both of us hope they will do another show before they get off at Nuku Hiva.

January 18

Fifth day upon the briny deep, aka the Pacific Ocean. Weather is still calm and mild with temperatures in the 70s.

Nothing much of note during the day. I spent a bunch of online minutes (when the satellite connection was working) trying to solve some of my posting problems. I think I got one part solved, but not the photos yet. I'll see if I can catch the "Techspert" tomorrow about uploading photos.

In the evening Margaret and I were treated to a lovely, leisurely dinner at the Pinnacle Grill by our table mate Mike. As you can see, we elected to dress Hawaiian as that was the theme elsewhere on board today. It was wonderful food elegantly served. This is a place where they still prepare the Caesar salad at table side, and the stemware is so thin and fine that you're almost afraid to pick it up. Every item of food, including each side dish, is served on its own individual shape of plate. Margaret and Mike chose a halibut entree while I had a small filet mignon that was perfectly cooked and a baked potato about the size of its home state of Idaho. A meal to remember in excellent company.




January 19

Sixth day at sea. It was pretty much the same as the others. I did get some advice from the "Techspert" (a Windows 8 kinda guy) about photos, but waited until late to try to upload anything as what access we had today was snail slow. If you can see this, you'll know I was, in some measure, successful.

The shop on board was doing the old cruise ship standard "Gold by the Inch" today. I got 2 new glasses leashes, one in sterling silver and one in gold plate over silver. It took both M and I several damaged fingernails to get the clasps working, but now I can be more stylish with my glasses slung about my neck.

1 comment:

Va said...

So, while you are mastering blogging, Microsoft Word 8, etc, they just announced the "opening" of Word 10! Enjoy being away from all this!