Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday, September 28

Yesterday was pretty bouncy also. Fortunately I seldom get even slightly seasick, but it does make me sleepy, so I spent much of the afternoon napping. The evening was yet another formal night...our third since sailing, but they did recommend that women not wear high heels. No problem there as I don’t remember the last time I wore heels!

We had a meeting about the overland trip in Japan in the afternoon. I think that’s going to be do-able for me, and there should be no problem with taking my “chariot” along.

When I woke up this morning things were so smooth and quiet that for a moment I wondered if we were docked at Hakodate! but that’s not until tomorrow. So today is smooth and sunny although the air temperature is still on the cool side.

I’ve met a number of interesting people on board. Today I had lunch with a young woman who is the ship’s Youth Coordinator. There are no youth aboard...at least not on this portion of the trip, so she’s getting a turn at general activities duties. Then there is one elderly gentleman with a strong accent which may be German who is always out on the back deck with his cigars. He and I have had several long conversations on a wide range of topics...I get the impression that he was a physicist before he retired. Oh, and I’ve forgotten to mention the other Mary at our dinner table. She’s from Walla Walla.

Our trivia team consists of myself, Jack who is American, Ann who is his English wife, and Donald and Margaret who are Scots living in Canada. We did fairly well today. So here’s your question of the day: What or who has as its motto “Blood and Fire?” Would you believe the Salvation Army? Yup.

The watercolor class is interesting but rather disorganized. The instructor is a fine artist and probably a fine instructor for smaller groups of people, or perhaps it is the crowded quarters we are working in. However there classes only on days at sea, so it will be awhile before I get to go again.

I haven’t mentioned the food on board...excellent as always on Holland America ships. And the chefs are just as cutesy with their flavor combinations as always. Some of the dishes are way more complicated than most of us at our table really want. At least you can get things with the heavy sauces left off which is what I do most of the time.

1 comment:

Va said...

HongKong has not changed overall from your description. I had a bad view from Victoria Peak, Stanley Market is always full of who knows what and whom and is great fun. On my first visit we were near to destitute yet I have a lovely small watercolor from there!

Glad Jill got some Hongkong silk - it is different from Thai! Former can be softer.

Love this Blog - VA